About Me

My photo
It's not. About me, I mean. Really!
I avoid labels when possible, but here goes: SWF, 40'ish, 20 year Navy veteran. I have an inner ham and her name is Ms. Piggy.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

What does it all mean?

OK, sorry if the title misled you into thinking this would be some terribly introspective and world shattering hypothesis of the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

These are the lyrics to the last stanza of "Tradition Of Love", by The Pretenders. I've been looking a while for the translation or meaning behind them; anybody here have a clue?

Shri gouranga
Jaya gouranga
Gour gour gouranga
Nam
Gour gour gouranga
Nam

3 comments:

  1. I think it's about sexy. Maybe food. But this "Gour gour gouranga" definitely means. OMFG I'm gonna (censored).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... were members of the band into Hare Krishna?

    Lord Gouranga (Sri Gouranga) is venerated within the Hare Krishna movement and one incarnation of Lord Krishna (the blue god, who is incidentally a bit transgendered himself... I participated in a Hindu ritual last year, in which Lord Krishna took center stage... I even danced -- it was pretty cool!).

    The word gouranga is also used by Krishnas to mean "be happy".

    Jai Gouranga means "victorious Gouranga" or "glory to Gouranga", similar to "Jai guru deva om" in the Beatles' "Across the Universe". By the same token, it could mean "glory to happiness".

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I thought this might be fun!

    OK, so it's basically "I'm gonna eat you until your deliriously happy and shouting to the heavens"??
    Hmmmm, Chrissie was already pretty hot in my book, she just jumped a notch or two!

    ReplyDelete

Followers